Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Random Story

My principal and I had a conversation about Kindergarten Round-up recently because his son will be in kindergarten next year. This made me think of my own kindergarten round up experience.

My parents were moving to a new town before I started kindergarten. My mom drove me the two hours from our home to the town we would be moving to that summer. I stood in the front seat (before car seats were mandatory for toddlers) and talked non-stop for the whole trip. I laughed and talked about completely random things. I still have this unfortunate trait today (just ask my husband). As Mom takes the exit, I start crying uncontrollably. I was screaming, "What if I fail?" My mom still has no idea how I knew about failing tests, but I was sure I was going to fail. She finally calmed me down in time for me to take my tests. However, she couldn't go with me. I was traumatized. When the testing was over, Mom asked me how it went. I told her, "Oh, it was easy. They made me hop on one foot, count, name letters, and name coins." To this day I remember the questions they asked and which question I missed. I know I missed the identify of a nickel. I can explain this unfortunate event though. They only showed me one coin at a time. I got the penny and dime correct. When they placed the nickel on the table, they only let me see the back. I couldn't tell, so I said it was a quarter. When the next coin was a quarter, I recognized my mistake immediately. However, the teacher wouldn't let me change my answer, I asked. Apparently, even with missing one question, you are allowed to enter kindergarten. I didn't fail, thank goodness. I have never failed a test or class because I still have this intense fear of failing. Maybe I should get counseling. :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

HAha, that's hilarious. I don't remember much about Kindergarten except we went half days and everyday for lunch my friend Candice and I would go to KFC and eat the chicken littles. Those things were good!!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker