Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Long time no blog

I have not blogged in like two weeks. Sometimes I go a long time, but never this long except when I was at fireworks.

Sunday, I went to church with my parents. They had a guest speaker who discussed the mission field in India. He mentioned the Hindu class system. Hindus believe that they cannot ever change their role in life. Untouchables always remain untouchables no matter what they do. This caused me to do a lot of thinking about Americans. Do we really think that a class system is so bad? We say that it is bad, but we ourselves take part. People born in poverty almost always stay in poverty. Rich people remain rich. I have students that continue to have an F, no matter what they do. Why do we condemn other cultures, when our own culture does the same thing? I don't feel like I can move out of the place I am in. Our school system sets up some kids for failure. I hate that. I don't know what to do to help them. I feel like I expect too much, but at the same time I know they can handle what they've been told. I would like for Americans to reevaluate their standards and how they view other people. We don't have it all figured it out, and we do have a class system ourself.

No comments:

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker